Chicken & Smoked Andouille Gumbo
One 2 & 1/2-pound chicken
14 cups water
2 tablespoons Cajun Seasoning
2 bay leaf
12 cups reserved chicken stock
1 cup dark roux
1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons hot sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup minced parsley
4 cups cooked rice
1. Place the chicken, water, 1-tablespoon Cajun seasoning, and bay leaves in a stockpot. Bring the water to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes. Strain and reserve 12 cups of the stock*. Allow the chicken to cool. De-bone the chicken, discard the skin and coarsely chop the meat and reserve.
2. Heat a large saucepan and add the sliced andouille sausage and cook until browned. Stir in the onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Add the reserved chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add the dark roux, lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Add the hot sauce and the remaining 1-tablespoon Cajun seasoning. Simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
4. Add the reserved chopped chicken and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the green onions and parsley.
5. Divide the rice into 8 large bowls and ladle the gumbo over the rice.
*Note: If you don?t have 12 cups chicken stock from cooking the chicken, you may add water to make 12 cups.
Recipe Compliments of Chef Patrick Mould.