Broccoli & Tasso Cheese Bisque
Broccoli and cheese are a match made in Heaven. Be careful not to overcook the broccoli; this will help to maintain its green color and allow it to stay crunchy.
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 pound Tasso ham, cubed
1 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 cup flour
8 cups chicken broth, heated
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 pound cheddar cheese
1 pound fresh broccoli, cut into pieces
2 teaspoons Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 cup minced parsley
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1. Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepot over medium heat. Add tasso ham and cook for 5 minutes. Be careful not to brown it.
2. Add onion, red and green bell pepper, celery and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add flour and stir until a roux is formed. Do not brown flour. Then add the heated chicken broth and whip until a light sauce is formed. Simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Stir in heavy cream, cheddar cheese, broccoli, Creole seasoning and white pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add parsley and green onions.
6. Divide into 6 large bowls and serve.
Yields 6 servings.
Recipe Compliments of Chef Patrick Mould.
- Outdoor Adventure
- Live Music
- About Us
- Contact Us
- Maps & Directions
- Request Visitors Guide
- Trip Planner
- LafayetteTravel Mobile Concierge
- National Tourism Week